Advising FAQ's

College of Arts and Sciences' Foote Fellow Frequently Asked Questions

Open All Tabs
  • As a Foote Fellow, what do I need in order to graduate from the College of Arts and Science?

    To earn a degree from the College of Arts & Sciences Foote Fellows (FF) are required to complete at least120 credits (determined by degree program) including a major and minor or additional major. FF are EXEMPT from all general education requirements; however, they must complete all pre-requisite courses for their major(s)/minor(s) which may include general education courses

    FF should also keep in mind that some general education requirements may be necessary for admission to graduate/law/medical school. Some FF elect to complete the General Education Requirement courses by choice or automatically with AP/IB/Dual Enrollment credit. Minimum scores are required and are revised annually. Please visit the following link for the most current information,

  • Do I need a minor in order to graduate from the College of Arts and Sciences?

    All students are required to pursue two areas of study through a major and a minor or additional major. Following is a link to the list of majors and minors offered through the College of Arts & Sciences, However, students may carry an additional major(s) and/or minor(s) in any school or college at the University of Miami.

  • Do I need to take a language as a Foote Fellow in the Collage of Arts and Sciences?

    FF are exempt for the language general education requirement; however, some majors require one or two languages as part of their curriculum. In this case, FF are required to take a language.

    Also, if you are interested in the Phi Beta Kappa honor society, you must complete a language course at the 200-level or above.

  • As a Foote Fellow, can I have more than one major?

    Yes, it is common for Foote Fellows to complete multiple majors. Many Foote Fellows are inspired to incorporate a language, as well as study abroad and internships, to set them apart as exceptional students.

  • When should I plan to study abroad?

    Depending on the program you choose to pursue, you will need different planning strategies. Please contact the Office of Study Abroad for detailed information:

    Phone: 305-284-3434

  • Do I need a language to study abroad?

    No, there are many opportunities to study abroad with or without learning an additional language.

  • What is DILS?

    Directed Independent Language Study (DILS) is designed to give motivated students the opportunity to study languages not currently offered through traditional classroom instruction at the University of Miami. The goal of the program is to assist students with gaining linguistic and cultural competence primarily through active conversation in the language of their choice, and to promote their ability to adapt and respond to new linguistic and cultural environments. Flexibility is one of the key components of the program as it responds to the students' language needs.

  • Does the University of Miami Accept AP/ IB/ Dual Enrollment or credit through examination?

    Yes. We award credit through CLEP (subject exams only), Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate higher level exams. Minimum scores are required and are revised annually. You may contact the Office of Admission, Evaluation Department directly for required scores. Please note: Official scores must be sent directly to the Office of Admission. Exam scores submitted on other university or college transcripts will not be accepted.

    Information on transfer credit available at:

  • What if I am undecided about my major?

    Connect with the Foote Fellow Advisor who can assist you with determining your options and guide you to appropriate university resources, including:

    • Major Exploration Workshop (Fall program)
    • Majors & Minors Fair! Meet with peers and advisors from almost all majors at UM! (Fall program)
    • The Toppel Career Center offers various career assessments that help determine your strengths, interests, and skill sets and provide major options that coincide them.

  • Internships

    Internships are a natural bridge from college into the workforce. As an intern, you have the opportunity to gain work experience, develop skills, explore career options, and establish a professional network.

    Toppel Career Center
    Phone: 305-284-5451

  • Latin Honors

    Latin or University Honors (i.e. cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude) are determined by the lower of the student’s cumulative gpas – UM gpa and UM + transfer gpa.

  • Miller School Honors Programs


    The is a 7-8 year BS/MD program. Admission to the MSP program assures students of a place in the freshman class of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine after completing their third year of undergraduate study, provided they meet the program requirements. Prospective students are screened after their freshman year; invited during the spring of their sophomore year; and admitted during the summer between sophomore and junior year.

  • Other Resources