Doctoral Archival and Specialized Research Awards

College of Arts & Sciences doctoral students with projects that require work in archives or in specialized facilities may apply for competitive funding through the Doctoral Archival and Specialized Research Award Fund. For this competition period (June 1, 2024 – May 31, 2025) a total of four awards will be made.

Activities supported include domestic or international archives/libraries, research in national laboratory facilities (e.g., Oakridge, NRL, CERN), and costs associated with other specialized research facilities and special collections.

The amount awarded will depend on the location of the archival work, $2,000 for domestic and $3,500 for international. Students need to be in good standing and making good progress toward their degrees.  Students are eligible to receive funding from this program only once during their doctoral studies.

Deadline for Applications: April 1, 2024

Visit the College’s Graduate Grants and Application website for the online application.

Application Process:

1. A one-page narrative description of project (single spaced) with a clear indication of the archival work to be completed and how the proposed activity will support the student’s thesis work.
2. An unofficial copy of the graduate transcript
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Support letter by dissertation advisor or department chair

Awardees will be notified by mid-April and the corresponding award funds will be transferred to respective departments to process the individual awards.


A report on the archival work, upon completion, must be submitted by September 30, 2025, to Joshua Cohn (, the Senior Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Education.  

For additional information, please contact 305-284-4021 or visit the Dean’s Office in the Ashe Building, Room 130.

Please note this award may have a financial impact should a student have federal financial aid and if they have exceeded their cost of attendance.  For questions regarding cost of attendance please contact the Financial Aide / Canes Central Office.

Fill out my online form.