Merike Blofield, Ph.D.
Office: Jenkins Room 314H
Professor Blofield is currently on leave as a visiting professor at INSPER in São Paulo, until December 2012. She was Director of the Observatory on Inequality on Latin America 2007-2009). The website is maintained; please see www.observatoryla.org for more information.
- 2003 Ph.D. Political Science, UNC-Chapel Hill
1996 Master of Arts, Political Science York University, Toronto
1994 Honors Bachelor of Arts, Political Science York University, Toronto
- Latin America, inequality and politics, gender and politics, labor relations, social policy, Western Europe
- 2012 (forthcoming) Carework and Class: Domestic Workers' Struggle for Equal Rights in Latin America. Pennsylvania State University Press.
- 2011. Editor. The Great Gap: Inequality and the Politics of Redistribution in Latin America. See http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/978-0-271-05009-6.html
- 2006 The Politics of Moral Sin: Abortion and Divorce in Spain, Chile and Argentina. New York: Routledge.
- 2011 "La desigualdad y la política." [Inequality and Politics.] Journal of Democracy en español. July. At http://www.journalofdemocracyenespanol.cl/pdf/04_Blofield.pdf
- 2009 "Feudal Enclaves and Political Reforms: Domestic Workers in Latin America", Latin American Research Review, 44:1, pp.158-190.
- 2008 "Women's Choices in Comparative Perspective: Abortion Policies in Late-developing Catholic Countries", Comparative Politics, 41:4, pp.399-419.
- 2005 "Defining a Democracy: Reforming the Laws on Women's Rights in Chile, 1990-2002". Co-authored with Liesl Haas. Latin American Politics and Society, 47:3, pp.35-68.
Teaching & Professional Experience:
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Miami
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Grand Valley State University
- Instructor, Department of Political Science, UNC-Chapel Hill