Study Abroad

Students completing a major or minor in a Modern language are encouraged to study abroad.  The Study Abroad Office (in Dooly Memorial, 125) offer coursework in English as well as in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.  While abroad, students may take courses towards electives, cognates, minors, and majors. In order to plan a program compatible with your overall academic goals and requirements and take full advantage of study abroad, you should visit the Study Abroad Office early in your university career, discuss course offerings with the Study Abroad Advisor, and consult with your major advisor(s).

In order to fulfill a modern language course requirement while abroad, students must request a course equivalency by bringing a copy of the degree progress report (DPR), a complete course description of each course of interest, and a course equivalency form to Prof. Mojca Del Fabbro. Students should obtain several course equivalencies to allow for changes in course offerings at the host institution.

Once the equivalency form is complete, students should save a copy of the form and submit the original to the student’s academic college or school.

Upon receipt of the host institution transcript by the Office of Study Abroad, which may be months after the student’s return, the course titles and grades will be added to the UM official transcript.  The academic services division of the student’s UM college or school will then be able to update the student’s DPR.

It is recommend that students keep all class assignments until the transcript and DPR are updated.