Enrollment Options Why a Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Degree?

The MALS program gives adult students, many whom work full-time, the opportunity to pursue a graduate degree on a part-time basis. Students study and interact primarily with senior faculty in the University of Miami’s College of Arts and Sciences. Courses are designed for students seeking in-depth study, personal growth and the desire to develop critical thinking.

How do I apply?
Applicants may mail or bring their application, personal statement, essay, and application fee to the MALS office. Official transcripts and three letters of recommendation (from former professors or other persons qualified to evaluate your ability to succeed in graduate school) should be mailed directly to the MALS Director or Assistant Director. Applicants may also fill out the application online.

Do I need the GRE?
No. Not all applicants applying for admission to the Graduate School are required to submit a GRE score and because most MALS applicants are reentering the academic world after a number of years of absence it is not required.

I’m not sure about a MALS degree. Can I enroll in a course?
You have the option of applying as non-degree seeking status and taking a maximum of two MALS courses. If you earn a grade of B or better you may then apply for degree seeking status.

When may I begin my studies?
The MALS Program offers rolling admission, you may begin in the Fall (late August), Spring (mid-January), Summer I (mid-May) or Summer II (late June).

Who teaches MALS courses?
MALS courses are taught by full-time University of Miami faculty, most often renowned scholars in the College of Arts and Sciences.

How often do classes meet and at what times?
Each course meets once a week in the evening in the Fall and Spring and twice a week during Summer I and Summer II.

How large are classes?
The majority of courses are offered in seminar classrooms and average between 10 to 15 students.

Are online courses available?
Online courses are not offered. The experience of learning and interacting in a classroom environment with experienced and knowledgeable professors is considered superior and more rewarding.

Can elective courses be taken from other departments?
Students may enroll in other University of Miami graduate degree courses with the approval of the Director. Intersession and MiniMester courses are not acceptable as elective courses.

How long will it take me to complete the degree?
The Graduate School requires that all work be completed within six years of the time of admission to graduate work. Most MALS students complete their studies in two to three years.

Can I transfer credits from another university?
A maximum of six credits of graduate study, with grades B or higher may be transferred with approval of the MALS Director and the Graduate School.

How will this degree affect my career?
The earning of a University of Miami Masters Degree is impressive on any resume. The program is designed to assist you to develop the analytical thinking and communication skills that mark a truly educated person, to develop research and writing skills, and to widen your problem-solving capabilities by exposing you to an interdisciplinary intellectual experience. These qualities are highly-prized by most employers.

What is considered full-time study?
Students enrolled in nine (9) or more credits are considered full-time. The maximum number of credits allowed for full-time study is 12 for each semester.

What is the process for readmission?
Students who have not been continuously enrolled for regular sessions must request readmission. Contact the MALS office well in advance of registration to request an Application for Readmission form. If additional college work has been completed elsewhere since the last enrollment at the University of Miami, an official transcript of this will be required.

How to withdraw from the program
Notify the MALS Assistant or Director if you plan to withdraw from the program. The date of withdrawal is that on which the student notifies the MALS office or the date of receipt of a letter requesting withdrawal.