English Graduate Organization (EGO)
EGO is the English Graduate Organization. Formed by University of Miami English graduate students, the organization seeks to give information and support, both academic and otherwise, to students enrolled in the PhD and MFA programs. Informal in nature, the organization is made up of every graduate student in the English Department. We encourage fellow students to be active in the organization, forming committees to address issues as they arise or creating reading and other groups to serve their specific interests and needs.
EGO’s functions are both scholarly and social:
- EGO conducts workshops on writing seminar papers and abstracts
- We foster reading and discussion groups
- We organize an annual symposium where we present ongoing research in panels followed by discussion by graduate students and faculty
- We organize and participate in an active dissertation discussion group
- EGO organizes workshops on the job search, constructing the cv, assembling a dossier of letters, and so on
EGO connects graduate students at various stages in the program and in different fields in order to facilitate informal but informative relationships where students can ask questions not only about academic concerns, but also about job placement, teaching, and living in Miami. This semester, we are meeting informally at the Rathskeller on Tuesday afternoons.
If you have questions or concerns about forming a committee to address an issue, want to see a workshop cover a specific area, or form a reading group, students who have been involved in these activities can help. You can send queries to the contacts listed below:
From the 2009 Spring Graduate Symposium:
Challenging the Borders of Nation and identity