Deadline: February 7th, 2014
The Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) is pleased to announce the fourth year of its Distinguished Fellowship Program. This program enables top graduate students with a primary focus on Latin America or the Caribbean to receive a tuition waiver and a full graduate stipend ($20,000) while providing support and contributing 15 hours per week to Center's activities. Distinguished fellowships will be offered to incoming Ph.D. students or students already enrolled in Ph.D. Programs in any department in the College of Arts and Sciences. Students must be fluent in Spanish, Portuguese or Haitian Creole, demonstrate a substantial research interest in Latin America and/or the Caribbean, and fully commit to the accomplishment of the vision and goals of the Center. CLAS will award three fellowships for the academic year 2014-2015.
The purpose of this Fellowship Program is to collaborate with Ph.D. granting departments in attracting top students to the University of Miami and to offer the best continuing students an opportunity to gain valuable experience by engaging in the wealth of activities advanced by the Center. Fellows gain valuable experience at CLAS, which significantly enhances their ability to compete successfully in the job market.
- UM full-time PhD students in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Fluent in Spanish, Portuguese or Haitian Creole
- A substantial research interest in Latin America and/or the Caribbean
- Commitment to advance the vision and goals of the CLAS
Applications are by departmental nomination only and should include:
- A departmental letter of nomination signed by the Chair
- Two letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae of the student
- A statement of purpose from the student (two double-space pages maximum)
- An up-to-date University of Miami transcript, when appropriate
Please email complete applications to Eduardo Elena, CLAS Director of Research, at email@example.com, with the subject heading “Distinguished Fellowship Program.” If you have any questions about this program, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Elena.